When I'm asleep, dreams have a crazy affect on my body.
That sounds weird, so let me explain!
If I get hurt in a dream, I feel it bigtime and usually I wake up having shed a few tears.
If something in a dream makes me happy, I wake up smiling.
If I get in an argument with someone in my dream, I'm extra irritable with them all day.
So it makes sense that if I get embarrassed in a dream then my palms will sweat and my face will feel hot.
So here's what happened.
I was taking a public speaking/tap class at BYU.
[I should have known this couldn't be real. The first hour you tap, the second hour you speak... weird.]
We had competitions too.
At one of our competitions, one of our competitors gave their speeches while tapping.
It was amazing, so obviously our tapspeech team would have some practicing to do.
On our first day back from our competition, we showed up to class ready to work.
I was wearing velvet black stretchy pants and a greenish yellow thick turtle neck.
When I heard that we were going to tap and speak at the same time, I was so ready.
I was definitely the best tapper in the class and by far the best speaker as well.
There were a few people in my class that I recognized [Nikki Mendenhall, Camille Lucero, and Reesa Tirrell], but I didn't recognize anyone else. However, I did know them.
And actually Camille's name wasn't Camille in my dream... It was Sandra. Sandra Bullock.
Weird, huh!
Our teacher collected our cell phones at the beginning of class to avoid distraction, then we were given a topic in our groups of four and we were assigned to.
Camille/Sandra, Nikki, Reesa, and myself were assigned to speak on a special car.
The speech was only supposed to be a few lines, and we had to make up a few simple tap steps to go along with our speech.
We wrote this simple speech.
"Sandra Bullock's car is the most beautiful of all the cars. We all love it very much. It has five seats and we like to drive it everywhere."
We decided that since I was the best speaker, I would have a few extra lines to say after we finished saying this.
I don't remember what those lines were.
We also decided that we needed to be better than the rest of our class, so not only were we going to sing our speech in three part harmony, but we were also going to say it in Spanish.
[Author's note: I don't speak any Spanish at all, but subconsciously I did translate this speech into Spanish, except I didn't understand what I was saying... And I don't think the translation was correct.]
We practiced for maybe thirty seconds before our teacher came around to see how our work was going and let us know that we would perform first in the class. We asked if we could practice it for her and she said yes. We began to sing our speech. Everyone in the class went silent and watched us. We hadn't written the tap yet, so we were just sitting in chairs. I was hardly singing at all because I couldn't remember the Spanish. Every time I would open my mouth, I would start singing Chinese. People kept giving me weird looks. It was literally the longest 30 seconds of my life. Well then it came time for my solo. I just stared blankly, while my face turned red. I looked at Nikki for a hint. She just smiled. Then I said "line." She gave me the first word only. That didn't spark my memory. I asked her to just tell me what to say. She said this was something I needed to do on my own. I felt so abandoned, and everyone was still staring. I started to cry, but really I had no idea why I was crying, because this really wasn't that bad. Except in dream world, it really was that bad. I was so hot and sweaty from embarrassment, and on top of that I finally realized that the turtle neck wasn't the best thing to be wearing at the moment. It made me even hotter and a bit claustrophobic. I jumped out of my chair and ran away from embarrassment.
That's when I woke up.
I know this seems silly,
but I was REALLY embarrassed.
I still can't remember my line.
Good thing it was just a dream:)
oh my scary/embarassment!! i love this mostly just because [1] you posted this at 530am and [2] I HAD AN EMBARASSING DREAM LAST NIGHT TOO!! and [3] you were supposed to speak spanish and you spoke chinese instead.. aka i love you being spanish but i love you mostly being chinatownish (: i love youuuu and your velvety pants <3
ReplyDeletehahahah i just noticed that it was posted at 5:30! i didn't realize that my computer is still on utah time! definitely posted this at 7:30... and by that i mean not.. because it was 8:30. i wasn't even awake at 7:30.. i wonder why it's like that.
ReplyDeleteweird. SLASH I WANT TO HEAR YOUR DREAM! slash i'm all language confused:(
this is hilarious. i seriously wish there was a tap dancing - public speaking class.
ReplyDelete