Here's how it all started. After seeing a show for one of my classes, I was talking with my friend and complaining about my Book of Mormon class. Don't get me wrong, I love the book, but I want to learn about the history of it, rather than go to class and feel like I'm in Sunday school. At the beginning of each class, we discuss our thoughts on the reading. Usually this takes long enough that we hardly go over the lesson. And usually during class (although I hate to admit it), i don't pay attention. Rather, I read what I need to for my next class. Today was different. I forgot my book. So I was basically forced to pay attention. Somehow we got into a conversation about worrying and stressing out about things. This was the perfect topic for me because I have three essays due tomorrow, one essay due next Tuesday, and two essays due next Thursday. Along with that I have a test next Thursday, and also sometime in the next few weeks, I should find out the results of my MDT (music dance theatre) audition. TALK ABOUT STRESSING OUT!
I felt the need to participate. I told something that my momma always says to me when I get stressed. She tells me to imagine that there is a long white string extending from one corner of the room to the other. Then imagine if i were to take a thin permanent pen and make a tiny dot somewhere along the string. That string represents MY ENTIRE LIFE, and since we'll live for eternity, it extends even further! She explains to me that the small dot that I drew is my entire earth life. THATS TINY! And furthermore, the trials that I may be experiencing at that time are even smaller than the dot. MICROSCOPIC COMPARED TO MY WHOLE LIFETIME! So whatever I may be going through, don't stress because its simply just a blip on the map.
After I made that comment, my teacher told me to write down the things my momma tells me. So I think I might start doing that:)
Also after I made that comment, I pulled out my notebook and started writing down the things that stuck out to me that people said and that I thought. Here they are.
1. Why are we on this earth? Not to get a perfect job, or to be the smartest in our class, not to make a break through in science, not to win prizes, or get rich. Although all those things would be nice, its not the point. We're here to become like Christ, to follow his example and strive for his perfection. To be charitable and loving. So there is no reason for us to get worked up over one bad grade or difficult assignment, because we're on earth to be Christlike, not scholars.
2. Don't Stress, its just a test. Go into tests with that mindset, and you're golden! If you stay relaxed you do better.
3. If you do your part, things will fall into place because the big man upstairs has your back.
4. Count your blessings, not your faults.
5. Take a deep breath in and remind yourself that your lungs still work, your heart is still beating and you have a functioning body. Some people don't have that luxary.
6. Your problems are not the end of the world.
7. Make a list and plan accordingly.
8. Believe it or not, the grades you get in school don't actually affect your Celestial glory. Oh isn't that nice:)
9. Its not about what trials you have, but rather how you respond to them. Earnest Hemingway's idea about being a real man (or woman in my case) is grace under pressure. My teacher admitted to a time that he sort of lost his temper in a pressure situation and how embarrassing it was. All I could think was grace under pressure, man!
10. Remember the atonement of our Savior. He has suffered everything. So we will survive.
11. Keep on keeping on the straight and narrow.
12. Write down the things your momma teaches you.
13. Tell the people you love that you love them. Believe it or not but that is kind of a stress relief.
14. Love your enemies. Since we are here on earth to become like Christ, there is no reason for us to carry the burden of hate around. ALSO if the things that aren't important in your Celestial glory are weighing you down, what better thing is there to do than do something that is important, yes? I agree:)
So those are my thoughts!
NO STRESS PLEASE!
No comments:
Post a Comment