I was in the back of our little five passenger car driving with my mom, my best friend (Hilary), and Hilary's mom. As we were driving, we saw a man walking down the road. He looked like he was in his 50's (potentially older). So here's the deal with Pleasant Valley. Often people ride their bikes down the road, which is super dangerous and makes my mom mad to see. So when she saw someone walking there, she wasn't happy about it. She slowed down to his pace and rolled down her window. She asked him what he was doing. He said he was trying to walk to Ohio... WE LIVE IN VIRGINIA! Thats a six hour drive!! She stopped and unlocked the door.
"Why don't you get in, we'll make sure you get to Ohio."
Then we let the strange old man in our car.
Then we took him to our house.
Then my dad gave him some of his old clothes.
Then we let him take a shower.
Then he ate dinner with us.
Then he slept over.
Then we gave him one hundred dollars.
Then we bought him a bus ticket to Ohio.
That was the last we saw of him.
Is it weird at all that we let a complete stranger sleep over at a house with four young children?
Now I'm reminded of another "Come inside my car." story.
My biology professor told us today that weeks ago she saw a man walking in a blizzard. She pulled over and told him she'd give him a ride wherever he needed. He said he needed to get to the bus stop. They arrived at the stop, and when he got out of the car, he said "Thanks, I'll see you tomorrow!"
She's been driving him to the bus stop every morning for the past few months.
Okay now its my last story about cars.
Except its not a story. Its a statement.
When I have to drive somewhere and pick up my brothers from various activities, I always creepily inch up to where they are waiting, slowly roll down the window, and offer them candy if they will come inside my car.
I like to scare the adults that see them willingly get in the car with me.
..and now my papa is that hobo.
ReplyDelete<3
i literally laughed out loud reading the last two.. only because i've heard the first one like six times already.
ahahaa.
<3
hah micaela you're a creeper.
ReplyDeleteThis is great. I remember when that old man stayed in the house for the evening. I was scared, but I trusted the crap out of your dad and I knew we would all be okay. There are a lot of people in my neighborhood that walk every where. I would love to give them all rides. Especially when it is late in the evening and there is a mother walking with a toddler and arms full of groceries. I would even have a car seat for the little one! But I always chicken out thinking that they wouldn't understand what I was offering (English is not widely used in my neighborhood), so I drive on.
ReplyDeleteI remember this to. He was over 70 years old and not going to Ohio but Idaho. He was a very nice man.
ReplyDelete