Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Let's Be Friends.

I was walking to class today, when a stranger came up to me, looked at me in the eyes, then started walking next to me as if we knew each other. Anyone who saw us probably thought we already knew each other. I kept walking, waiting for him to say something because he had already acknowledged my existence. But he didn't say anything for probably the longest thirty seconds of my life. He finally got up the courage to start a conversation...
His starter caught me off guard..
Not the typical "Hi, I'm so and so." Instead he jumped right in the conversation without even asking my name. "How are you're classes going?"

REALLY?!

My initial shock wore off and I told him that they were "treating me alright, but I'm completely ready to be done with school."

Then we continued to talk about classes. Finally once that conversation was over, he asked my name. His name is Jordan. We shook hands [because that's what Mormons do].

I asked him if it was habit for him to introduce himself to complete strangers. He laughed and said that it makes life interesting.

We proceeded to talk about what we were studying in school, where we were from, and the state of my next class [because I'm not particularly fond of it].

Then he even asked about my summer plans [whether I would stay here or go back home]. I revealed that I have to work all summer so that I can come back to school next year and he told me that he was impressed that I'm working my way through college. I told him that its really no big deal, just part of life.

Then we talked about the class he was going to and realized that we both find war stories particularly intriguing.

He shook my hand again, and said it was nice to meet me, then we parted ways. I doubt I'll ever see him again, but I will admit that it was really exciting to just meet someone while walking to class.

I wish I had the courage that he does to go up to a stranger and say "Let's be friends."

4 comments:

  1. this has totally happened to me before. people at byu are totally crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i wrote two sentences. i used "totally" twice.

    i think i am officially still like 13 years old.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahahahahahah. its okay i'm eternally five:)

    and i wish that i had the confidence to just strike up a conversation with a total stranger... and it wouldn't be weird because we're at byu.... but i would feel odd.. maybe i'll try it out next fall. haha

    ReplyDelete
  4. That has happened to me and I admit I have done it also! It is fun, cause the idea is exhilarating!!

    ReplyDelete