There is nothing on my walls anymore.
There are clothes and empty hangers all over my floor waiting to be packed away.
There are a few REALLY FULL trash bags that need to be taken out.
There is a bunch of random stuff on my bed and some on my desk that has no place.
There are a few sets of clothes laid out for me to use over the next few days and on the trek home.
While I dread the rest of this terrible packing process, I'm spending my time reminiscing on this past year.
When I was packing to come out here, I realized that even though I was excited, I dreaded the whole college experience. I knew I wouldn't have any money and I'd have to make all new friends and that I'd become close friends with guys only to send them on a mission and not see them for awhile [if at all]. I didn't want to leave my mom either. [Even though she's ridiculously nosy about my life and lives vicariously through me, she was still one of my closest friends.] I feared the road ahead of me. [Figuratively and literally, considering the 33 hour drive to Utah.]
When I sent my mom away on the plane, I cried. It was finally time for me to do my own thing. [Looking back, now I realize that it wasn't that hard because I know that she's always just a phone call away.] College was a HUGE adjustment. In high school, I had friends but outside of school I wasn't particularly social and I didn't go out much. Once I got here, I had to change that.
Now it's time to go and I'm looking back on all of the CRAZY things that have happened this year.
Here are a few things that I can think of [in no particular order]:
Walking back from the RB one Wednesday, Sarah and I ran into our friend Ray driving by in his Jeep. He rolled down the window and told us about a dance party that the boys in our ward were throwing that night. A bunch of us girls in the hall decided to go. We danced the night away and took loads of pictures. This was the night that we realized we had one of the best wards known to BYU.
Olivia, Sarah, Kazhia, Michelle, Shelby, and I went to play tennis in the RB. While we walked in the underground tunnel, we sang and screamed really loud... Then we realized people can hear us. Oops!
One night Sarah and I went to a dance with a bunch of other girls. We weren't feeling it so we left early. We called our friend Olivia and met up with her to hang out. The three of us were up almost all night singing and taking goofy pictures while we explored the dorms. "Momma get married today!"
The night after the first football game, a bunch of us decided to go to the bell tower to roast marshmellows. IT TURNED INTO THE BIGGEST MARSHMELLOW FIGHT OF MY LIFE! We also ran through sprinklers. And topped off the night by running back to the dorms in the pouring rain. SOAKING WET! Thats the night that Teddy accidentally stole Sarah's moose sweatshirt.
We also supported the Merrill Meansters at flag football games. Sarah and I were the team momma's and we never missed a game!
Sarah, Olivia, and I played around one night and we stuffed ourselves in the washers and dryers in the laundry room. Munchkin Sarah was the only one who fit completely.
For Halloween, my friend Dillon and I dressed up as Peter Pan and Tinker Bell. We looked super cute and I even convinced him to wear the green tights! We went trick-or-treating with Callie and Anna Marie. Afterwards we met up with some people and had a CRAZY dance party outside of Del Taco.
For Sarah's nineteenth birthday, we went black light bowling. CRAZY NIGHT! Her sister made the most glorious pumpkin chocolate chip muffins that I've ever experienced!
The first snow was on a Sunday and we took pictures while we walked up to church.
I went to the Candyland dance with Brent and Sarah went with Mitchell. ONE OF THE BEST NIGHTS OF OUR LIVES! I let Macey curl my hair and Haylee do my make up even though I never do anything special with hair or make up.
Sarah and I spent a lot of time going to the Tanner building with the 1200 boys. We also played in the snow with them and went to the dollar theatre MANY times over finals week.
I went to the Salt Lake City temple to see the Christmas lights with the ward. I spent the time with Sarah, Macey, Haylee, and Elliot. We took a ton of pictures that night while we were all dressed super cute, including engagement pictures with our polygamist husband, Elliot. "Please don't touch the natives."
I made sure I recycled every bottle I used. The first time Sarah and I recycled our many water bottles, the total came to 72. Now Sarah has a laundry basket where we put our bottles before we recycle. It really adds up.
Sunday nights at midnight was always a great time to get food. I had my first "In and Out" experience at this time. I also went to Ihop a few times and Denny's once.
For Elliot's birthday we wrapped up nineteen gifts for him then had a small celebration for him in the basement of Chipman. Later that night the boys had ice cream cake for him [which us girls went to eat].
7G1C! Inter-mural basketball for the 1200 boys. Sarah and I were their team momma's also. The first game we brought orange slices for them to eat. [I cut all the oranges with a plastic knife. That was really difficult.] One of their games, Sarah and I trash talked the other team the whole time. Yellow boy was my favorite to harass!
We went to various mission call openings in Merrill lobby. I'm so proud of all you boys!!
Girls night out! This semester we became good friends with HANNAH UTELY! We would drive around in her car blasting music and sing to the people in the cars around us.
PREFERENCE DANCE! We asked a bunch of boys to the girls choice dance. The plan was to go to the great gatsby dance [1920s attire] but we couldn't find all the right outfits so we all picked a decade to dress up as. When it came time to buy tickets to the dance they were all out. So we went to the Dr. Suess dance, but still dressed in our decades! After the dance we drove to Park City and spent the night at Hannah's aunts house. We woke up early the next morning to go to church.
I went and saw Princess and the Frog with my friend Chandeelore! [That's not his real name.] The next night we went again with some other people. The two of us quoted the movie the whole time. "She's the most beautiful firefly that ever did glow. EEEK!"
When Haylee's mom came to town a group of people went to the hotel to swim. IT WAS GREAT FUN! [even though Pat cut his head open and needed 14 staples.] After, we went to the cabin. Macy Baker and I had girl bonding time here while everyone was watching the movie.
I went to get a grilled cheese sandwich at the creamery with friends almost every night for about a month during winter semester. I'll miss that daily adventure.
I discovered that I'm so bad at cooking that I manage to ruin spaghetti. [UNFORTUNATE]
For April Fools Day, Macey, Haylee and I moved all of Sarah's stuff into the bathroom. Bed and everything. She was shocked when she got back and had no room!
OWL CITY CONCERT! [words can't describe the perfection.]
Sarah and I went to the Post Secret event at the University of Utah. Frank Warren is our hero.
Sarah, Haylee, and I went to see The Fellows play at the barn. THEY WERE AMAZING! There were also two other bands there who provided plenty of entertainment.
There is much more, but frankly I don't have time to keep writing because I'm going to IKEA with Sarah, Mike, and Topher!! Then I have to take my last test and finish packing.
It's been a good year, but now it's time to wrap it up and go home. I'll be back in four months!
No comments:
Post a Comment