I was walking up onto campus for class just yesterday and my mind was wandering and thinking about random things. Then it occurred to me how incredible our bodies are. I was thinking about the things that were stressing me out and my legs were still moving. I was still walking. I was still breathing. My heart was still beating. My eyes were still blinking. My mouth was still smiling at people that I recognized. When I had an itch on my head, I would scratch it. When my hand felt sore I would rotate my wrists. My hands were swinging by my side, and I picked them up and put them in my pocket. I didn't consciously think about any of things things I was doing. We don't have to think about every step we take or every time we blink or smile. We don't pay attention to the beating of our heart or our breath going in and out of our lungs. All of this is done subconsciously. How amazing it is that we have bodies and brains that are so complex that we can manage to think about a ton of things going on and not worry about making our body function? We should be grateful for this incredible gift that our Father in Heaven has blessed us with. Many people don't have a completely working body like I do, so why can't I just remember to be grateful for what I have?
Continuing on with the idea of the things we have, I am reminded of the musical that I was in. It was a senior directed play and we performed today, so now it is over. At our last rehearsal, our director was talking to the cast about the lyrics to one of the songs. "Someone is on your side; no one is alone." No matter what happens, someone always has our back. There is always someone for us to lean on when we are upset or to share our laughter with when we are happy. We take other people for granted, but we should all realize how many people we have to talk to when something is going on. Having people around us is a gift. It's a gift that we should all be grateful for!
Now back to our functioning bodies. I am typing right now. I'm not thinking of which keys my fingers are pressing, I'm thinking of the words I am saying. My fingers are doing the work on their own. How wonderful it is that I have functioning hands. Typing leads into my last thought. I want to write a book. I'm not sure how long it is going to be yet, but I know exactly what it's about. In fact, while it was on my mind, I wrote a summary about it. I would tell what it's about, but I don't want it to be judged until I'm finish. You should know though, that it is a tragedy. This doesn't mean I'm an angry person, I just think that lessons are better learned through disappointment.
Be grateful for the gifts you have, and don't take things for granted because when you do, sometimes it's harder to lose.
*like*
ReplyDelete